Thursday, September 2, 2010

Entry Piece Re-Do

When you enter my home, you walk smack dab into the middle of it. No lie.

Our entry/living room/dining area is just one huge area. Though we like the openeness, it sure is hard to decorate. You can't tell where the living area begins and ends, or where the dining room ends and begins, as well as how the entry way is really the entry way, when you really have already entered into the home and there is no other way.

It's difficult. But I do know that a little lighting up won't hurt.

So here is my entry cabinet/side board/buffet piece. I sold a piece on Craigslist that I had re-finished and it sold for the exact amount this piece was listed for.

SCORE!
 

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the piece, we even prefer it in black. But the owners before us, used a gold paint pen to accent it. I mean accent everything and it was totally free hand. I just could not walk by this every day knowing this.


I am just trying out the green star, my hubby does not like it. So it most likely will not be there later. I was also testing a rubbing method of painting to see how it turned out, just FYI!


The primer coat. It covered very well, since the piece was black I was afraid I was going to have to put four coats on it. But it soaked it right up.


First coat of paint. Just on the side there, that's why it looks odd. I wanted to make sure it was covering well and that I would not change my mind about the color.



Clear coat, brushed on. I think it looks very "light."




Now, back inside near the ol' whatever- you -want- to -call- it!


I purchased some cute lamps from IKEA, they were having a huge sale, but I wanted a more adult look. So cute wasn't going to work. Though, these were more then I normally spend on lamps and expensive for IKEA, I think they were worth it and really tie everything together.


Detail of the knobs, I think the black really hide this. With the lighter color it really exposes it more.




                                       BEFORE:                                                        AFTER:


Furniture Feature Fridays


UndertheTableandDreaming

4 comments:

  1. Great job Melissa! It looks so much lighter and brighter! And those gold "accents" had to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The details on that dresser are just amazing. It is gorgeous!!

    xoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can definitely see the details of the piece much better in white than in black. Great job and I absolutely love that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the style of this piece and it really pops now that it is white. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete